Couple quick questions about Coopers shows..

Comments on Couple quick questions about Coopers shows..

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Jun 23, 2014 - 10:06 PM:

Does anyone know specifically which "Crime Club" scripts were Coopers?
In my searches all I can find is statements like:

"..some of the more hair-raising scripts were done by Willis Cooper"

"..Cooper writes at least one script"

.."Stedman Coles and Wyllis Cooper (Lights Out, Quiet Please) did most of the scripts,..."

"..Coles adapted the majority of the scripts, with Wyllis Cooper and James Erthine filling in as needed..."

But none of them specify which scripts were Coopers.. Is this an unknown?

Also, Concerning "Lights Out"..
"...In the mid-1940s, Cooper's decade-old scripts were used for three brief summertime revivals of Lights Out. The surviving recordings reveal that Cooper was experimenting with both stream of consciousness and first-person narration.."

It goes on to mention "The Haunted Cell," rebroadcast 07/20/1946), and "Man in the Middle," from 1945, and a 1937 version called "Uninhabited" or "Christmas Story"as all being coopers scripts.. Are there any other surviving broadcast of Lights House which use Coopers scripts?

And Lastly..
Is there no surviving "Witches Hour" 15 minute episodes existing at all?

Thanks for any info

MS

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Jun 24, 2014 - 6:08 PM:

1. Of the circulating "Crime Club" episodes, the only one that I know of with a Cooper script is THE TOPAZ FLOWER a fairly straightforward (and kind of dull) adaptation of a novel by Charlotte Russell. He may well have written others for the series, but I've never seen any further information to confirm this. If anybody knows for sure, I'd be interested to hear about it.

2. Apart from THREE MEN (a.k.a. UNINHABITED), MAN IN THE MIDDLE, and THE HAUNTED CELL, the other surviving LO episodes with Cooper scripts are:

A ROOM FOR THE NIGHT, the series' 1935 premiere over the Red network. It's not supposed to be in circulation, but at least one private collector reports owning a copy (he thought it was terrible, by the way), so maybe it'll end up on the Internet one of these days.

REUNION AFTER DEATH, from 1945

THE ROCKET SHIP, from 1945. A copy is supposed to be at the Library of Congress. Not to be confused with Arch Oboler's "Rocket from Manhattan," a 1945 episode of "Arch Oboler's Plays" that is sometimes incorrectly presented as an LO episode.

Four from the summer of 1946: THE COFFIN IN STUDIO B, BATTLE OF THE MAGICIANS, THE REVENGE OF INDIA, and THE GHOST ON THE NEWSREEL NEGATIVE.

Two from 1947: DEATH ROBBERY (script credited to Cooper and Paul Pierce) and THE RING (only first half of the episode survives).

And I suspect the "Lights Out" TV episode DEAD MAN'S COAT is an adaptation of one of Cooper's 1930s radio scripts.

3. There's no surviving episode of 1932's "The Witching Hour" or any of the 15-minute-long LO episodes from 1934, as far as I know.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.