Odd performance t after Thing on the Fourble Board

Comments on Odd performance t after Thing on the Fourble Board

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted May 22, 2014 - 11:52 AM:

I curious about what it is that plays for the last five minutes on "The Thing on the Fourble Board" mp3 after the closing credits are announced?

If I heard it correctly it seems to be about a man who had too much wine one day, and he has a wife of which he is jealous of for having an affair with another man. So he tricks his wifes lover to come to a cave or something, then shoves him in and traps him by sealing it up with cement.. then hearing the man pounding trying to get out...

Or something like that.
Then the spoken "song" ends, and you hear the audience applause.

There's no mention of it in the script, or anywhere else that I can find, and I've noticed many other mp3s of "Thing on the Fourble Board" do not include it (although the internet archive files do.

What and who is it??
Endof80
reMember

Posted May 26, 2014 - 2:32 AM:

I found the answer to my own question..

The episode 'Thing on the Fourble Board' mp3 hosted on quietplease.org evidently was sourced from side B of the LP released in the 1970s called "Three Skeleton Key"..

The section following the Quiet Please episode is from a short story by Edward Allen Poe entitle "Cask of Amontillado", and is not part of episode 60

Perhaps that portion should be removed from the mp3 to avoid any confusion.. since it doesn't belong there anyway.
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted May 26, 2014 - 3:07 AM:

MP3 is a lossy format, so I believe if I edit just to cut the last few minutes and resave that could affect the overall audio quality, in the same way resaving a JPEG repeatedly causes artifacts. So I'd rather play it safe and leave it as is, unless there's a superior MP3 from another source someone can send me.

I probably got the file from the otrcat.com CD I got back around 2001.
Endof80
reMember

Posted May 26, 2014 - 5:49 AM:

There's simple ways around that Paul, You don't have to re-encode, you can make non-destructive cuts in any mp3 without altering the audio quality in any way at all.. It's the same principle as if you were splicing a reel to reel to reel tape, if you cut something out and splice it back together, you obviously still maintain the same audio quality.. because the existing content hasn't changed.

The software below is freeware, there are others, but this is the one I'm familiar with and it's very simple to use..
If you like, I'll do it for you, it wouldn't take but a minute, but perhaps you prefer to look into it yourself..

------------------------------------
mp3DirectCut
All you need to cut your mp3

mp3DirectCut is a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for compressed mp3. You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded. The built in recorder creates mp3 on the fly from your audio input. Using Cue sheets, pause detection or Auto cue you can easily divide long files.

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
--------------------------------------

MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted May 27, 2014 - 12:14 PM:

Paul, here's a link to another version of "Fourble Board." It's a 21.36 MB mp3 file with good sound (and no "Amontillado") that I picked up in an OTR trading forum. You can download it from this page:

http://0mvdhzeyxu.1fichier.com
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted May 28, 2014 - 11:01 AM:

Thanks MS, I've uploaded that.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.