Extant Original Scripts??

Comments on Extant Original Scripts??

Jeremiah
New

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 3
Posted Mar 18, 2009 - 11:09 PM:

Greetings, all! New member---and new Quiet, Please! fan---here. I'm quite curious: how many of Wyllis Cooper's original scripts survive---and where are they housed? A volume of collected QP! scripts was scheduled to appear in 1950, but apparently never made it to press. (See: www.geocities.com/emruf6/00.html). I don't suppose there's a manuscript or galley proof of this floating about somewhere? It would be terribly nice should someone finally bring such a book to fruition . . . But as the precise location of the original transcription discs remains a profound and confounding mystery, I don't suppose we should get our hopes up about the scripts. Alas! Alack! And---for good measure---Welaway!

At the very least, a bunch of original Cooper MSS (or reasonable facsimiles thereof) would make the work of preparing scripts for www.quietplease.org a good deal easier. Until then, I guess it's painstaking, deep-hearkening, pop-hiss-and-buzz-busting, ever-rewinding transcribing from what recordings survive.

That being said, I'd be happy to contribute to a transcription or two. It'll take me a while, however: I'm slow and beset by other (annoying---but paying . . . however meagerly) commitments. But I'll get something done, eventually. Is anyone working on "The Smell of High Wines" yet? If memory serves, that was a pretty noisy one. In any case, if no one's doing it, I'll see how much clean narrative I can disinter from the unquiet (audio) grave this episode has so unfortunately fallen into.

Quietly yours,

Jeremiah
MS

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Mar 19, 2009 - 5:33 PM:

Welcome aboard!

All the QP scripts exist at the University of Maryland's Library of American Broadcasting and some of them have been posted in this forum. Astro1 posted a bunch of them years ago and I have been slowly posting the few I have. In fact, I have one more to go -- "Not Enough Time". And I do transcripts, too.

Would love to have you do "The Smell of High Wines" or any others you feel strongly about.

I posted something last month about the discs in the thread called "Transcription Discs - Redux." A collector claims they had been at the University of Florida and are now in New York at the Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum of Television and Radio).

Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.