FAVORITES
Need recommendations for any great episodes from this or any radio show. Preferably horror, but really any genre as long as it's great.

Comments on FAVORITES

GDAWGIII
New

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 6
Posted Mar 06, 2020 - 2:04 AM:

I used to listen to this show, and I've kind of fallen out of it. I still hail it as the greatest radio horror show of all time, but I just need some reminders of great episodes, and recommendations on episodes with only script (no original audio).

If any of you also know any other great episodes from neighboring shows such as Lights Out, Suspense, Inner Sanctum, etc. or from any other show, could you please recommend them to me.
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Mar 06, 2020 - 3:48 AM:

My top 5 Quiet Please episodes (at the moment... there's probably another 10 I could as easily have chosen): Northern Lights, The Man Who Knew Everything, The Gothic Tale, Inquest, The Little Morning

I can't think of any episodes of other series that capture much of what I love about Quiet Please.... perhaps because I don't think of Quiet Please as a horror series. There were some scary episodes, but it's a multi-genre series and it's the storytelling style that binds it all togeather. I haven't found that style anywhere else.
mharri10
New

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 6
Posted Mar 07, 2020 - 6:52 PM:

The Quiet Please episode I really like and is the most famous is THE THING ON THE FOUBLE BOARD. In addition to the other recommendations from the previous reply, I also like THE OLDEST MAN IN THE WORLD, TANGLEFOOT, WHENCE YOU CAME, BEEZER'S CELLAR and CALLING ALL SOULS. There are so many other good episodes, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

For SUSPENSE, the classics are SORRY WRONG NUMBER, THE HITCHHIKER and HOUSE IN CYPRESS CANYON. I also like MOMENT OF DARKNESS and FUGUE IN C MINOR.

Lights Out is one of my favorites. I really like POLGERGEIST, LITTLE OLD LADY, KILL, VALSE TRISTE, SUPER FEATURE and THE SPIDER.

Inner Sanctum is OK, but I don't like it as much as the other 3. I would recommend THE VENGEFUL CORPSE, THE WAILING WALL, DEATH ACROSS THE BOARD, POTRAIT OF DEATH and MUSICAL SCORE.

I like the Witch's Tale, but some think it's dated, but some stories really creeped me out. RATS IN A TRAP, THE DEVIL'S DOCTOR, FOUR FINGERS AND A THUMB and THE MANNEQUIN are some of my favorites.

Hall of Fantasy can be good. Check out HE WHO FOLLOWS ME, THE SHADOW PEOPLE and THE CRAWLING THING.

Mark

MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Mar 20, 2020 - 11:42 PM:

GDAWGIII wrote:
...I just need some reminders of great episodes, and recommendations on episodes with only script (no original audio).

...other great episodes from neighboring shows such as Lights Out, Suspense, Inner Sanctum, etc. ...

From a horror standpoint, "One Hundred Thousand Diameters" might be the best of the ones currently available as "script only." The episode exists, but isn't circulating.

Some late Suspense episodes that play like QP stories are "The Black Door" (Nov 19 1961), "The Second Door" (May 06 1962), and "You Died Last Night" (Apr 01 1962).

Lights Out: The Flame, Knock at the Door
OctopiWithHats
New

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 1
Posted Oct 14, 2022 - 7:50 PM:

I'd say that episode 1, Nothing Behind the Door, is a really good place to start. It gives a great sense of what sort of storytelling and what level of science generally you're working with. I'm also a big fan of episode 23, Three, and would say that it contains one of the best examples of "conversational uncanny valley" I've every heard.

And, of course, you can't go wrong with The Thing On the Fourble Board. I know others have already recommended it, but it's a classic for a reason.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.