Obtained copy of Venetian Blind Man

Comments on Obtained copy of Venetian Blind Man

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Jul 10, 2014 - 11:36 AM:

~~Well, it was almost a 2 month process for me to get a copy of the Venetian Blind Man from the Indiana University library, and I had to sign an agreement not to distribute it.. but I did successfully get a copy -- as can anybody else for $27 dollars.

Bad news is that it is not complete..

The first portion is about 11 minutes long.. Then a missing gap, then a section from the middle about 2 minutes long.. another gap, and then the concluding 6 and a half minutes concludes the episode...

I edited an existing script from here to present a transcript of this copy which is only slightly different.

Also I requested an actual photograph of the disc itself, and a girl working there took with her Iphone and sent me pics of both sides, which is attached to this post:

Here is the transcript of this recording and pictures of the disc it was taken from:

https://db.tt/oQXtFsdx
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 3:33 PM:

Well, I see a lot of people have read this post, I'm surprised no one has commented about it.. Like I said above, anyone can get a copy of it it.. It's $20 for a downloadable wav file or $27 to have a cd mailed to you. The turn around time is about 6 to 8 weeks. The recording you receive is from a tape which they made of it almost 20 years ago, and the quality is pretty good with exception to the six minute portion from the middle.

I suppose it would be alright if I supplied some short clips of each of the 3 portions of the episode so you can hear samples the quality, I'll put something together tomorrow I guess.

By the way, I had inquired for more information of where this particular disc had originated from in hopes of perhaps finding some other available material. Yesterday I received a reply; Marylin Graf of Indiana University provided the following info:

" It was a part of Melville Herskovits' s Laboratory of Ethnomusicology at Northwestern University, which contained hundreds of ethnographic recordings on cylinders and discs, and several interesting recordings that seemed to have been recorded just for fun. The latter group had not been inventoried or documented, but we processed them just the same. (Lucky for you!) I'm sorry to say that I haven't found any other Quiet Please recordings in the Northwestern group. I really wish it were otherwise."

Although I am enthused to have a copy of this episode (most of it anyway), to be honest, It's not one of the better ones.. It really was kind of silly, nevertheless, it's one step closer to the complete series.

I wish Paley Center could be a little more accommodating.. no luck at all, not even a reply. Also tried calling but got a long run around that amounted to nothing.
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 4:54 PM:

Thanks very much for this. That cast list is interesting. You quote Chappell as saying:

CHAPPELL: (Chuckling) And Andrea(?) McBride was again the dominately beutiful Miss Tragacanth; Pamson was played by Carl Eastman, Volcano by James Monk, Orville was J. Pat O'Malley.

For the part of Miss Tragacanth, Astro1's script for "The Venetian Blind Man" lists Miss Tragacanth as Dorothy McBride, but in the "The Man Who Knew Everything," the actress was credited as Jean McBride. Is it possible that instead of "Andrea," Chappell is saying, "And Jean"?

Astro1's script credits Carl Emory, but you're saying it's actually Carl Eastman.

James Monks (with an "s") seems to have been a favorite actor of Cooper's, with at least eight appearances on QP, including the title role in "Very Unimportant Person."

Thanks again for posting this; it's very generous of you.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 5:40 PM:

Jean Mcbride is probably right, I wasn't sure what he was saying thats why I put a ?

Carl Eastman is definitely the name credited in the audio.

Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 14, 2014 - 5:29 AM:

Here's a clip of playing the ending credits:

https://db.tt/2FwmkW4d
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Jul 14, 2014 - 7:19 PM:

Interesting find. Sad that they're milking a public domain recording for money with non-distribution contracts though.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 15, 2014 - 12:02 PM:

Well, it's not exactly like that.. I had expressed my desire to make it public along with the rest of the available series.. they however explained that they maintain an archive of all kinds of historic recordings and such, and offer copies to interested parties only for personal research, but in this case they are not in a position to allow redistribution of this QP episode because they have not been able to confirm it to actually be in the public domain, so they can not treat it as such. If it's public domain status could be confirmed then it would be alright.

I didn't feel like they were milking the public by charging for their services. I don't comprehend however why the process of getting a copy took so long though.. it seems like a couple days would have been ample considering it was just being taken from the tape made of it almost 20 years ago.
She did apologize to me for the process being so "cumbersome".
All in all it was a pleasure dealing with them.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 17, 2014 - 10:52 PM:

Above I stated in error that the 6 and half minute portion was low quality... actually it's the 2 minute portion that is poor quality..
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.