Cleaned up Not Enough Time

Comments on Cleaned up Not Enough Time

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Jul 08, 2014 - 3:48 PM:

I spent to much time on this one but.. The first half was little more than just removing the pops and clicks, and a little bit of background hiss, then the second half is where it became a monster to work on.. But I think it sounds a lot better.

I saved it as a wave, and then boosted the volume some for the mp3 version because I thought it made it sound better.

What do you think?

Not Enough Time - Cleaned up
https://db.tt/1FItL5rh
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 5:00 PM:

Anyone listen to it?
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 5:50 PM:

I did. Excellent work; I could actually follow the dialogue without consulting the script. A big improvement. Is it me or does Chappell's voice sound a little high? I wonder if the episode needs to be speed-corrected a little, i.e., slowed down. A half-hour network show would normally run 29:30, but this is 28:19. Anyway, this is a terrific job; thanks very much for sharing it with us.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 12, 2014 - 6:33 PM:

You may be right. I could easily slow it down to a run time of 29:30... I saved the project file and also saved it as a wav, so I could make any change without having to resample it again.,

I was a couple nights into cleaning up the copy available here and ran into a section where I was having a real hard time keeping music intact in the background because it was so buried in background noise, and looked around the internet again trying to find a better copy to work with.. that's when I realized the version at the internet archive seems to have a better audio response than the one here, so I started all over again with that one.

I really spent way to much time to be starting with an mp3 source, it became a lot more involved than I expected it would.. it took around two weeks, 2 to 4 hours every night!, plus a few half hours or so here and there during the afternoons sometimes -- crazy.

Purchasing the series in uncompressed cds is considerably more expensive then I would ever have expected, but the best deal I can find is from Don Aston.. the price drops with larger orders which results in a total cost of about $125 for the entire series (which oddly does not include this episode for some reason, which is why I chose to work on the mp3 version of it now).
So in this particular case Don Astons price is at least 1/3 cheaper than any of the other dealers quotes I've found (most want $7 per 2 episode cd + shipping).

I just haven't brought myself to bite the bullet yet, I don't exactly got cash to throw around. But if I'm to do this it looks like Astons boxed collections are the best bet on what to start with.

Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Jul 14, 2014 - 8:50 PM:

Just listened, but I don't have a detailed memory of how the original version sounded so I can't really spot the improvements. Will upload your version.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 18, 2014 - 1:13 AM:

Well Paul.. You could always refresh your memory by listening to the one you have here on your site! However, my source was the same one as found on the internet archive.

ANYWAY.. You might want to use this one instead.. Per MS comment, I slowed it down by 4% which resulted in correcting the runtime to 29:30.
https://db.tt/8Z3F2pVt

But of note.. I notice there are numerous other episodes as provided on the internet which do not always have the 29:30 runtime -- I have speculated it may be because slightly speeding up a file can sometimes present a semblance of improved clarity..

Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Aug 13, 2014 - 10:11 AM:

Listening to the same episode twice in a row is, well, quite boringly repetitive.

Uploaded the new copy.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.