Quiet Please at archive.org
This post makes the suggestion of posting the Quiet Please mp3s at the Internet archive at archive.org

Comments on Quiet Please at archive.org

indeterminacy
New

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 1
Posted Mar 08, 2006 - 6:22 AM:

I've been browsing the Internet archive at www.archive.org and am amazed at what all is there. Movies, music and sound recordings. I started searching for old time radio programs and found that War of the Worlds is available there, as are the complete series Dimension X and X Minus One.

Since Quiet Please is in the public domain, and since that series is not represented at the archive, neither under its name nor under "Wyllis Cooper," it seems to me a good idea to make the mp3s available to them. Maybe scripts could/should be posted there, as well?

I don't wish to detract from the value of this site as a Quiet Please resource - I think this is one of the most comendable sites on the net. However, some kind of posting at the archive might help to spread knowledge of this great series. Perhaps a representation of Quiet Please at this archive.org will also bring about pressure to the holders of the missing episodes to consider releasing them.
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Mar 11, 2006 - 5:36 PM:

Feel free to submit them there if they will accept them. You obviously don't need my permission but it sounds like a nice idea to me, if not nice enough to bother doing it myself.

Perhaps a representation of Quiet Please at this archive.org will also bring about pressure to the holders of the missing episodes to consider releasing them.

I would doubt that there are any such holders, most of the existing episodes come from Chappell's collection and there aren't any more Ernest Chappell's left to die and leave them. Also don't see how archive.org would be any pressure, it's just a big collection of files, most of them obscure and unnoticed by most visitors.

as are the complete series Dimension X and X Minus One.

Hm, I thought there were copyright claims to X Minus One.

Since Quiet Please is in the public domain

I can't prove that, can you?
Bill Kizer
New

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 1
Posted May 27, 2006 - 4:14 PM:

nodInteresting---food for thought...!!!!!
Zorka

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 37
Posted May 28, 2006 - 9:36 AM:

I would doubt that there are any such holders, most of the existing episodes come from Chappell's collection and there aren't any more Ernest Chappell's left to die and leave them. Also don't see how archive.org would be any pressure, it's just a big collection of files, most of them obscure and unnoticed by most visitors.

I agree. While Cooper's material has been donated to several groups, I haven't found any claims to copyright. Chappell only held some element because of his role as actor on the show. But that did not mean he held any rights to the broadcasts.

Archive.org's ouvre is to be a depository of rights free material. As Paul says, it isn't organized around anything such as he has here.

Hm, I thought there were copyright claims to X Minus One.

Having researched and written a book that included this material, I can tell you there are still claims to the shows. Both NBC (not Westwood One) and the writers of Kinoy and Lefferts guard this material. Sure the shows are easy to get, but that does not make them in the public domain. One has to be careful about understanding the difference between easily available and in the public domain.

Since Quiet Please is in the public domain

I can't prove that, can you?

Again, per my comments above, I agree with Paul on this. There never has been any official declaration that they are in the public domain. I just don't think there has been any attempt to prosecute anyone around the show's availability. After all, the otr world has been a boon to the likes of Cooper, who might have remained much more obscure had it not been for collectors.

Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted May 30, 2006 - 3:11 AM:

Well it's more than a lack of prosecution actually. Carl Amari likes to seek out copyright holders in order to secure exclusive rights, and told me he'd been unable to locate one for QP. Odds are the copyright holder (if there is one) isn't aware that they hold the copyright. Back at the time I created this site lots of OTR sites were getting cease and desist notices (there seems to have been a lull of those again in recent years) so I only created it after making sure that the main issuer of such notices wouldn't be objecting.

The copyright situation gets rather messy if we presume Cooper owned it via script copyrights (and equally messy if we try to trace it through Mutual, a bit clearer through ABC), considering he died in '55 and copyright term lengths were changing all the time in that period. My belief is that would've come up for renewal (under the laws of the days) in the early 70s, and whoever inherited may or may not have bothered (presuming that dead people could renew).
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.