A great find for OTR fans

Comments on A fine tribute to Ouiet, Please

bigmikegauk
New

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 1
Posted Apr 08, 2005 - 5:16 AM:

nodI have been a great fan of OTR for several years now and was already familiar with a few episodes of Quiet, Please, most notably, The Thing On The Fourble Board. It is a wonderful thing to make all of the existing episodes of the show available to either listen to or to download. Especially as there is no charge for this wonderful service.

I just want to say a big thank you for this fine service and this fine tribute to a truly great, underrated and one-of-a-kind radio series. It would be great if others would do the same for other shows and fans. It would also help to promote and maintain an active interest in preserving and keeping OTR alive-and-well for future generations of potential listeners to discover and enjoy for years to come.
main2468
New

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 2
Posted Jul 28, 2005 - 2:10 AM:

Wyllis Cooper...
Ernest Chappell...
Albert Buhrmann...

the guest voices...
and the people involved that we will never know...

I will always admire them for giving us "Quiet Please."

I have wanted to know more about these people.
Today I searched and found this website which not only
has incredible information, it is filled with testimonies by other devoted fans.
I hope to return many times to read and learn more
about this increadible program. Thanks to the webmaster(s)
of this site for a great place to be involved.
Tracy
New

Total Topics: 0
Posted Dec 17, 2005 - 10:31 PM:

I' a big fan of Wyllis Cooper!~~~
Old Timer

Total Topics: 14
Total Comments: 100
Posted Dec 19, 2005 - 7:49 PM:

Tracy wrote:
I' a big fan of Wyllis Cooper!~~~

Me too... I'd love to also hear some of his Light's Out work... anyone know where it could be found?
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Dec 19, 2005 - 9:05 PM:

I'm a big enough fan of Wyllis Cooper to have registered "WyllisCooperFan" as my AIM and Y! IM handles. sticking out tongue

Old Timer wrote:
I'd love to also hear some of his Light's Out work... anyone know where it could be found?

I'm sure the details are in some other threads, but I believe he only wrote '35-'36 (of which not all survive IIRC) and a summer revival in the late 40s. You can also find Cooper's work in the Campbell Playhouse (mercurytheatre.info), Whitehall 1212 (nice series all by him), and I recall at least one episode of "Crime Club". I should really put a list on the site somewhere to keep track.

Anyhow, as for sources, I bought CDs from otrcat.com.
Waltman
New

Posted Dec 21, 2005 - 1:58 AM:

Cat Wife is the only existing show from the early Cooper period of Lights Out as far as I know.

Some of his early scripts were rewritten later...

Christmas Story, 1918 was used later for the Radio City Playhouse episode Three Men in 1948. You can download this show from Radiolovers.com.

The 1945 revival of Lights Out has two shows, Reunion After Dark, and The Man in the Middle, which are said to be early L. O. scripts.

The 1946 revival has four, The Coffin in Studio B, The Haunted Cell, The Revenge of India, and The Ghost on the Newsreel Negative.

The only show surviving from the 47 revival Death Robbery is also said to be a rewrite of a script from the early period.

These shows, along with Cat Wife are available on the OTRCat Lights Out set.

Posted Dec 21, 2005 - 2:49 AM:

Whoa, wait a minute. "Cat Wife" is by Arch Oboler, not Cooper.

Cooper wrote LO from '34 to '36 but none of those episodes seem to have survived. All the surviving LO recordings with scripts by Cooper are from later rebroadcasts of his 1930s work.

Cooper's "Uninhabited/Christmas Story/Three Men" script aired as early as Christmas '35 but the surviving LO recording is a rebroadcast from '37. You can hear it at the top of this page:

http://oldtimeradio.homeip.net/otr/lights-out

"Man in the Middle" from the '45 revival is a humorous stream-of-consciousness piece that first aired in '35 as "After Five O'Clock." You can hear it on this page:

newportvintagebooks.com/otr...uspense/otr_lights_out.htm

There's apparently at least two other shows from '45 but only one is circulating, "Reunion After Death" (not "Dark"). The Library of Congress claims to have an uncirculating '45 Cooper episode called "The Rocket Ship."

In addition to the four episodes from '46 mentioned by Waltman, there's a fifth episode called "Battle of the Magicians" which is probably Cooper's.

And in addition to "Death Robbery," there's a fragment of a show from '47 called "The Ring."

So the grand total is ten circulating LO shows by Cooper: "Uninhabited/Christmas Story/Three Men," "Reunion After Death," "Man in the Middle/After Five O'Clock," "The Coffin in Studio B," "The Haunted Cell," "Battle of the Magicians," "The Revenge of India," "The Ghost on the Newsreel Negative," "Death Robbery" and "The Ring."

And, actually, come to think of it, there's an eleventh show: a 1951 episode of the TV LO by Cooper called "Dead Man's Coat" (apparently based on QP's "Wear the Dead Man's Coat") which is available on a bootleg video.

Waltman
New

Posted Dec 21, 2005 - 3:32 AM:

wrote:
Whoa, wait a minute. "Cat Wife" is by Arch Oboler, not Cooper.

Thats what I get for not checking myself before hitting submit.

Thanks for the correction and the additional information.
monodia
New

Posted Mar 04, 2006 - 6:49 PM:

In the Scifi Guy catalog put out by Gordon R Payton circa 2000 he credits one more episode of the 1946 run of L:ights Out to Wyllis Cooper. It is the episode of 8/24/46 and is entitled "The Signalman". Does anyone know what happened to Payton? I purchased some wonderful material from him but at some point my e-mails went unanswered and his web site disappeared.
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 05, 2006 - 11:12 PM:

OTR researcher Martin Grams, Jr. had an interesting post in the OTR Digest not long ago in which he mentioned that NBC "had Cooper sign an agreement to do the radio revival in the summer of 1946 as long as he would write a solo teleplay for an experimental" Lights Out TV show. Cooper wrote the script for the TV series premiere, "met his contractual requirement for NBC, and got the summer radio revival he wanted" says Grams. But Cooper didn't write the script for the Lights Out version of Charles Dickens' "The Signal Man" ... the author credited during the broadcast is Frederick J. Lipp.

Officially, Payton's been out of the business for years but every once in a while, on an OTR message board, an old-timer will post something about how they've seen him around or had some sort of contact with him. Usually, they add the hope that he'll come out of retirement.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.