12 to 5

Title 12 to 5
Description Episode 45
Message Text Episode 45
Broadcast 4/12/48
“12 to 5”

Announcer: Quiet Please… Quiet Please
(Theme In and under)
The Mutual Broadcasting System Presents Quiet Please, which is written and directed by Wyllis Cooper, and which features Ernest Chappell. Quiet Please for tonight is called “12 to 5”.
(Theme up and out)

Connie (on telephone): Yes ma’am it does get lonesome down here. What? Oh, sure being able to talk to people on the phone helps… Well how’d you like to be stuck away down in the basement all by yourself from midnight to 5 am? With nothing but a microphone, a turntable and some telephones? Ah, sure I got coffee. I bring in four thermos jugs when I go on, I (slight chuckle) I’m coffee up to here. Oh, well, uh only four and a half hours more and I can go home and have breakfast. No (slight chuckle) no ma’am I don’t drink coffee for breakfast. Well, you guess what I drink. No… no… no, you’re getting’ warm, (chuckles) sure, three of ‘em! Well, after all it really isn’t breakfast you see, it’s uh… uh… supper… dinner… somethin’. Sure… (Phone ring) well thank you very much for calling. Good morning. Hello… yes, this is Connie Duffin. Hello, [big?]. Play what!? No I haven’t got I’ll be Glad When You’re Dead You Rascal You. Yeah, we’re not supposed to play it. Oh, since about 1934 or five or sometime. No… no kiddin’! Ah, sure I’ll play you summin’ just… just a little while (Phone ring) the other phone’s ringing. Well stick around, keep tuned to us and you-shall-hear-music (in undertone) says here;(normal voice) uh good morning. Hello Connie Duffin speaking… and how are you? Well, fine thanks. Huh? Settle a bet!? Well, I’ll try. Now is the Hour? Well it’s generally sung in 4/4 time here, but it was originally written in ¾ time. Yeah, that’s right regular waltz time. (chuckles) So I guess you both win or both lose or somethin’. (Phone ring) Sure, you’re welcome. (Picks up next phone) Good Morning! Fine, how are you? Uh yes ma’am the theme used on Quiet Please is taken from the second movement of the Symphony in D Minor By Caesar Franck. I’ll be glad to play a little of it for you, just a second. Let’s see, uh… here she is… played by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. Here you are.

(Music for 56 seconds. Phone Ring)

Connie: Hello (Music fades out) Yes, this is Connie Duffin. No ma’am, I never lived in Denver. Closest I’ve ever been is Omaha. I played vibraharp and xylophone there in 1932, no, not on the air; hotel. (chuckles) No… no I’m sorry I guess not your cousin. (phone ring) Ok have one for me, good morning. (Picks up next phone) What? (music playing in background as Connie chuckles) why… why sure I’m lonesome!
Rating
  • 0/5
0/5 based on 0 votes.
Ownership Old Timer
Views 2,402 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
Submission Date Jul 05, 2002