Radio Archives "restored" Quiet Please version avialable again

Comments on Radio Archives "restored" Quiet Please version avialable again

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Aug 29, 2014 - 8:56 AM:

About a month or so ago, I had several email correspondences with Tom Brown of Radio Archives attempting to obtain their set of "restored" Quiet Please which they offered some 8 years or so ago.. (Previous discussed here: www.quietplease.org/forum/g...et-please-offered-218.html )
One thing led to another and eventually the possibility of a partnership effort in selling them arose and was briefly discussed, but then the emails stopped.
I sent one one more.. again no response, which led me to conclude it was a lost cause..

However, last week I was thrilled to hear back from him..

In essence this is the way it is to work:

" ..$3/hour for audio CDs in our standard storage case complete with artwork and $1.50/hour for 192kbps mono MP3s... "

So that comes out to $111.00 for the CD set, or $55.50 for the MP3 version set. (if my calculation is correct).

But here's the catch.. 25 sets must be sold and prepaid in advance.
Once there are a minimum of 25 sets sold, then Radio Archives will manufacture and ship the sets. Then 3 to 6 months later a second batch may be made available with no minimum number needed.

The set will be ordered through the Radio Archives website via a special link payable via MasterCard/Visa/AXP/Discover/PayPal/Check or money order.

Per our agreement, I handle all sales and 'Radio Archives' handles all manufacturing and shipping. It will only be available through me, and will still not be listed or available directly on the Radio Archives website to the public.
I am also building a website to house the offer.

For anyone not familiar with this restored version full details can be found in the old post here from when it first was offered www.quietplease.org/forum/g...et-please-offered-218.html

I am currently awaiting further information from Tom of Radio Archives to initialize this offer. I certainly hope selling 25 sets will not be a problem. Surely there must be 25 people out there who would desire to own the best quality set of Quiet Please available anywhere!

Interested parties please respond to this post!

Endof80
reMember

Posted Sep 05, 2014 - 5:15 AM:

Correction...
I misunderstood Tom about the prepayment, actually what is required is that 25 set need to be ordered before going in to production.

When I asked for clarification his response was:
"Yes, 25 sets sold. I don’t see any reason that customers need to pre-pay. If the minimum of 25 orders don’t come in we don’t want to spend all the time refunding prepayments."

I just wanted to update that information now to clear things up.
More information to follow..

By the way
I'm surprised there have been no comments at all here yet concerning the availability of this set.. Surely I am not the only one interested...?
illoman

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 11
Posted Nov 02, 2014 - 6:50 PM:

I would be interested but would like to hear some samples of the restoration first. Then I could make a decision.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Nov 02, 2014 - 7:46 PM:

Illoman, I had suggested the same thing - if he could supply some 1 minute samples of the episodes then potential buyers wouldn't be flying blind about what they are purchasing.. But his reply to me was basically that they have their hands full enough at the present with making ready numerous new audio books and etc. every week ,and he didn't feel particularly inclined to use man hours and pay to ready a selection of audio samples..
I agree with you, but Tom expresses that it would be out-of-the-way to accommodate the request.
Based on the past comments of those who had purchase the sets around 8 years ago, the
Radio Archives version of series though less noisy, still exhibits crackle and pops, and the big advantage to them are a notable increase in the audios fidelity.
I have not heard any of the episodes myself.. Not so far as I know.. But any improvement would be a welcome one to my ears.
Thanks for the interest.
The Voice of Doubt
New

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 1
Posted Sep 10, 2016 - 7:39 PM:

Hiya. I'm wondering if anything came of this, because I for one would love to be able to listen to a restored version—I've got a hearing disorder that means I can't make-out the words at all in the old recordings.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Sep 12, 2016 - 1:14 AM:

Not really...
Only 3 people expressed any interest.
I;ve since began to wonder if their copies have already made its way as available on the internet and is the source of the mp3 cds you can buy on ebay and elsewhere.. In other words, maybe the "restored" version they sold a decade ago is not really so much better sounding then what is readily available now... I really don't know, since I've not heard it to compare.
Only someone who actually owns their set would know.

Perhaps the better hope is access to Chappels original disk and tapes which reside at the Paley Museum in New York, which by the way also include 3 of the missing episodes:
BERLIN 1945 (1947-12-26) (RADIO) (RB:1485-T) (December 26, 1947) CATALOG ID: RB:
BELOW FIFTH AVENUE {SHOW #50} (RADIO) (May 31, 1948) CATALOG ID: RB:1496
1,000,000 DIAMETERS {SHOW #51} (RADIO) (June 07, 1948)CATALOG ID: RB:1496-1

Unfortunately Paley does not currently permit copies for the public. They are the only potential of restoration from the source disc for the Quiet Please series, but they exhibit no intention of doing so, nor will work with any external professionals to have it done. Nor for that matter do they make any copies of the episodes available to the general public, not even the 3 "missing episodes" they posses.
It's a shame.
They just sit there rotting
Endof80
reMember

Posted Sep 12, 2016 - 1:20 AM:

The Voice of Doubt wrote:
.......I've got a hearing disorder that means I can't make-out the words at all in the old recordings.

The scripts and transcripts of all the shows are freely available, so you could read along as you listen
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Oct 27, 2016 - 7:54 AM:

It's a shame that everyone who has good audio copies or missing episodes seems determined to fiercely guard them instead of share them. I can't begin to imagine how much other history we've lost to such attitudes.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.