The Venetian Blind Man
Lost? Or hiding in plain sight?

Comments on The Venetian Blind Man

MS

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Sep 18, 2003 - 11:01 PM:

I'm looking forward to Astro1's posting of the script for this supposedly lost episode. I say "supposedly" because I was browsing the WorldCat search engine recently and came across this entry, entitled "[United States, 1949]":

INDIANA UNIV, ARCH OF TRADITIONAL MUSIC
Record for Item: "[United States, 1949]"
Indiana University, Bloomington. (698)
Title: [United States, 1949]
Author(s): Cooper, Willis. ; (Director - drt); Venetian Blind Man. ; (Performer - prf) Corp Author(s):
Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) ; (Depositor - dpt); Indiana University, Bloomington.; Archives of Traditional Music.
Year: 1949
Description: 1 sound disc :; analog, 33 1/3 rpm, acetate, mono. ;; 10 in.
Language: English
Music Type: Popular music
SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Organ music. Radio plays -- United States.
Note(s): Dramatic presentation with music./ Radio play./ "Quiet Please"--documentation./ Circumstances of recording unknown except for the date, April 3, 1949./ Documentation for this collection is incomplete./ Possibly deposited at the Archives of Traditional Music by Northwestern University in ca. 1963 (under option 2?)/ This collection includes organ music and speech; seemingly it is a one man dramatic presentation with spoken (and sung?) monologue and organ music./ Participants: Venetian Blind Man, organ, spoken monologue (and vocals?); Willis Cooper, writer and director.

Old Timer

Total Topics: 14
Total Comments: 100
Posted Sep 19, 2003 - 7:02 PM:

Let's all keep our fingers crossed smiling face
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Sep 25, 2003 - 8:35 PM:

I don't think they could come up with a worse system to categorize it if they tried. "Archives of Traditional Music"? "Music Type: Popular music"? "SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Organ music"? And titled "[United States, 1949]"? Well, I guess bad classification provides hope that more of the episdoes could be out there, just with the people who own them not yet knowing what they are.
Old Timer

Posted Sep 25, 2003 - 9:57 PM:

Orginally posted by Paul

I don't think they could come up with a worse system to categorize it if they tried. "Archives of Traditional Music"? "Music Type: Popular music"? "SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Organ music"? And titled "[United States, 1949]"? Well, I guess bad classification provides hope that more of the episdoes could be out there, just with the people who own them not yet knowing what they are.

Could be someone at the time thought Cesar Frank's Symphony in D Minor was "popular music" (I think it would be a bit hard to dance to though sticking out tongue )
MS

Posted Sep 25, 2003 - 10:27 PM:

Yeah, I can't imagine a disc jockey, even on the 12 to 5 shift, saying:

'Uh, yes, ma'am, the theme used on "Quiet, Please!" is taken from the second movement of the Symphony in D Minor By Cesar Franck. ... I'll be glad to play a little of it for you, just a second. Let's see, uh... Uh, here she is... "Played by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy." Here you are.'

Brought to you by Chappell's Apples -- the finest, most delicious, great big eating apples you ever sunk a fang into!
Old Timer

Posted Sep 26, 2003 - 7:58 PM:

I suppose the 64$ question is... can someone go there and actually check it out?

Bloomington is about 55 miles SE of Indianapolis...

I'd check it out myself, (family visit) but I'll be in the wrong part of the state
MS

Posted Sep 27, 2003 - 12:37 AM:

Perhaps Paul (or someone) could notify the folks at Radio Spirits. They're professionals, they've got research experience, they're in nearby Illinois, etc.

[quote]Orginally posted by Old Timer

I suppose the 64$ question is... can someone go there and actually check it out?

Old Timer

Posted Oct 08, 2003 - 8:12 PM:

Orginally posted by MS

Perhaps Paul (or someone) could notify the folks at Radio Spirits. They're professionals, they've got research experience, they're in nearby Illinois, etc.

[quote]Orginally posted by Old Timer

Actually they've moved to Connecticut... but I suppose either they or the SPERDVAC people could find out.

Either way... keep your toes crossed (crossed fingers makes it hard to type rolling eyes )
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.