Meeting at Ticonderoga

Comments on Meeting at Ticonderoga

#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 18, 2003 - 7:16 AM:

The scripts *are* all available. So let's assume for the moment that that problem is resolved.

The copyright on the scripts is still fuzzy - or at least would have to be researched before they could be used for re-production.

Certainly, a group such as those involved with Seeing Ear Theater (I think Brian Smith is still involved in it) for example could produce it, but where does the money come from? Sales of the program? Possible cassette/CD sales?

To do this on a wholesale scale as you wonder, would require a benevolent benefactor who does not anticipate getting their money back! cool
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 18, 2003 - 9:04 PM:

Seeing Ear Theater seems to be dead, since they haven't produced anything new in years... sci-fi channel stopped funding them it seems.

However, there's an east coast group that's already re-enacted some Quiet Please. The program is called "The Old Time Radio Show" and it consists of reenactments of broadcasts from various series. This is on WYBC, 1340 AM, also available online at http://www.am.wybc.com/ . The Old Time Radio Show seems to be 5-7 PM on Sundays. One of the people involved with that came by this site a while back, and sent me a couple tapes of the Quiet Please episodes they've done. While no one can duplicate Ernest Chappell, I think the performances were fairly good... frankly much higher quality than I'd expected before I got the tapes.

If the lost episode scripts became available, I think there'd be a good chance they'd reenact at least some of them at some point.
Mountebank
#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 23, 2003 - 7:30 PM:

I hadn't checked back in a while and was pleased to see that someone had taken up the torch with respect to trying to obtain some of the lost scripts. It seems it has been a while since her/his last posting and I'm wondering if there has been any success?
bfish
#19 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2003 - 7:45 AM:

Yesterday I went to the University of Maryland and arranged to have 5 scripts copied:

Ribbon of Lincoln's Green
A Mile Wide and Mile Deep
The Big Box
Three Sides to a Story
Mirror, Mirror

The scripts are fragile and the archivist required that they be copied by UofMD staff. Thus, it is 25 cents per page, but these guys are fantastic. This is 119 pages of scripts and I'll probably have them this week. As soon as they are done I'll put them in digital form and send them to the site administrator.

I'll do others as I have the resources, but there are a total of 15 scripts (all are there and all have mark-ups from Cooper) that are noted above, so I'll need to spread this out a bit so the cost isn't too much.

Anyone else interested in paying for copies and digitizing them before I do, can email me at william.fishburne(at)verizon.net. I use (at) instead of @ to do something to stop web spiders cool

Of course, it will be necessary to do some sort of copyright check before they can be posted, but aside from my initial contacts with Westwood One, I think I'll leave that in the capable hands of the site administrator.
#20 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2003 - 7:48 AM:

Orginally posted by Paul

The script isn't easily found... the only place it exists, it seems, is the University of Maryland.

A search shows me the poem "Ticonderoga" was by Robert Louis Stevenson, but I can't find a copy of it online.

I just happened upon the poem on-line at http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2027/
MS

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
#21 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2003 - 1:12 PM:

Uh oh. Who is going to break the news gently to babelfish that Astro1 has already posted these and other scripts in the Scripts section of the messageboard? And is planning to post more of the "lost episode" scripts?

Can babelfish arrange at the last minute to have the staff copy five OTHER scripts (The Ticket Taker or The Third Man's Story or some of the other fuzzy sounding eps, for example)?

What kind of Cooperesque twist of fate is this, anyhow?
bfish
#22 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 22, 2003 - 6:55 AM:

A member kindly emailed me and told me what was up. After some discussion we decided it was worthwhile to go ahead and get the scripts already planned as they have Cooper's notes on them. These are his scripts directly from his estate when he died.

One set of scripts I didn't get copied, but read (after all, I was there and I can only get there once per year), had a note on the back of the first page something like, "The filter is broken so make a funny voice when you are on the phone." Clearly this is from the actual run and was held up through the window to the actors. That stuff is just too cool.

It turns out that the lead archivist lives about a block from me and he hand carried the copies to my house. We talked for a while (he is seriously into old time radio--far beyond myself) and he said that he'd do the same for any other scripts I wanted.

Now I just need to get the time to get these to Paul...give me a couple of weeks and I should have the first one to him...after a couple of months, I'll have the whole shebang.

Ideas for the next scripts would be appreciated--perhaps some of the existing episodes that are hard to hear?
Old Timer

Total Topics: 14
Total Comments: 100
#23 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 24, 2003 - 7:15 PM:

Orginally posted by bfish

One set of scripts I didn't get copied, but read (after all, I was there and I can only get there once per year), had a note on the back of the first page something like, "The filter is broken so make a funny voice when you are on the phone." Clearly this is from the actual run and was held up through the window to the actors. That stuff is just too cool.

Now I am curious... which episode was that? As for other scripts... perhaps you could start with 12 to 5... that way I can find how just how close I came to getting things right smiling face
bfish
#24 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 31, 2003 - 7:32 AM:

Orginally posted by Old Timer

Orginally posted by bfish

Now I am curious... which episode was that? As for other scripts... perhaps you could start with 12 to 5... that way I can find how just how close I came to getting things right smiling face

I'm sorry, I can't remember the episode off the top of my head, it was one of the "lost" episodes as those were the only ones I pulled out of the box. I'll put 12 to 5 on the list.

I just sent "A Mile High and A Mile Deep" to Paul, so you all should be able to see the quality (?) of the transcriptions and whether there is real value added from the comments on Cooper's scripts. I, personally, think it is kinda cool, especially on those episodes for which there is no audio copy because you can get a sense of how the material was presented based on how Cooper changed the script and margin comments he made.
Corey Klemow

Total Topics: 4
Total Comments: 18
#25 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 06, 2004 - 4:53 PM:

Just found this website and thread and was wondering if there's been any progress in definitively either finding a copyright holder for the scripts, or proving that the "Quiet, Please" scripts are out of copyright... ?

Also, what about the trademark for the show itself? Might that be a separate issue from the scripts? Is it at all possible that the rights to do a show called "Quiet, Please" might have stayed with Mutual, even though the rights to the scripts stayed with Cooper?

(For whatever its worth, the US Trademark website and the Canadian Trademark website have no record of "Quiet, Please" as a trademarked name for a radio program, either as a live or dead trademark.)

I suspect that if there had been any progress it would have been posted here, but since this thread has apparently been inactive for months, I figger I might as well ask... thanks for any further insight anybody can give!

--Corey K.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.