Airtimes...

Comments on Airtimes...

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Oct 31, 2014 - 8:29 PM:

Upon noticing some screwed errors the QP log which I've been working on, I went over it again with a fine tooth comb, and begin to see how I messed it up to begin with..
The problem arose from the airtimes, -- upon confirming an airtime, I was inclined to follow thru the same with following weeks, but as I found more newspaper clippings it began throwing things off..
On repeat occasions I would find up to as many as 4 different airtimes for the same episode on the same night!.. (If you scroll down to the very bottom of the page, past my log, you'll see temporary notes with a complete breakdown where I'm working to clear it up)
I suspect the key to ironing this mess out probably lies in the location and time zone of the Mutual Stations mentioned - in that each area airs at different times
The specific stations I've thus far been able to compile from newspaper clippings during the MBS run are..
WOR - New York, New York
WTSP - St. Petersburg, Florida
WKOW - Madison, Wisconsin
KIMV-FM -Hutchinson, Kansas
WESB - Bradford, Pennsylvania
KVAI - Amarillo, Texas
WHK - Cleveland, Ohio
WTSB - Lumberton, North Carolina
WICC - Bridgeport, Connecticut
WMBO - Auburn, New York
WGN - Chicago, Illinois
WNDR - Syracuse, New York
KSAL - Salina, Kansas
In addition to the Mutual Broadcasting System, the Don Lee Network, and Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, are also named during the Mutual run in the several of the concluding announcements in the episodes
A smaller list of ABC run confirmed stations from newspaper clippings..
WJZ - New York
WNAB - Bridgeport, Connecticut (QP intial airing on ABC)
WMFF - Plattsburgh, New York (which also became WEAV sometime in 1948)
WEAV - Plattsburg, New York
But I still found that the same stations airtimes (particularly in the Mutual run ) QP would vary - One week it would air QP at 8:30, and the next week 9:30, then two weeks later, back to 8:30 again.. All the while the Mutual broadcast schedule appeared to stay the same every week,
The best option to present an accurate log was to simply include all of them in the log, which I did, but hope to find more sources to flesh it out better.
The thing is, compiling this log has caused some frustration I never expected it would!.. But think I'm getting past my confusion now,
Any insights on the matter welcome and appreciated.
quietplease.96.lt/Quiet_Ple...Enhanced_Episodic_Log.html
On a side note, soon I'll be moving the site to a the new web address quietpleaseanthologly.16mb.com (I never was crazy about the "96.LT" address, but it was free.. but now, so is the 16mb.com address!)
Endof80
reMember

Posted Nov 05, 2014 - 1:21 PM:

Although still not entirely clear on the air time discrepancies, I don't find it so bothersome anymore, because it's obviously a matter of the individual radio stations which air the Mutual network programs at varying times..
So all confirmed times are noted in my log, and left at that.
Last night, I was browsing through some "Crime Club" episodes, mainly out of curiosity, because Cooper was known to have scripted a few of those episode - and I noticed something..
Crime Club episodes..
Sept 11, 1947 the episodes closing announcements say QP is coming up next..
Oct. 2, 1947 - QP annouced to be coming up next..
Oct. 9, 1947 - QP annouced to be coming up next..
Oct. 16, 1947 - QP annouced to be coming up next..
Every one of the Crime Club episodes above show their air dates to be 1 day after the Quiet Please episodes which they announced to be coming up next..
Quiet Please episodes..
#13. How are you Pal - Wed. Sept. 10, 1947 Mutual
(Mon. Sept. 8, 1947 on WOR)

#16. The Low Road - Wed. Oct. 1, 1947 Mutual **
(Mon. Sept. 29, 1947 on WOR)

#17. Not Enough Time - Wed. Oct. 8, 1947 Mutual *
(Mon. Sept. 6, 1947 on WOR)

#18. Camera Obscura - Wed. Oct. 15, 1947 Mutual **
(Mon. Oct. 13, 1947 on WOR)

* astrics refer to number of newspapers found confirming air date.
Now I know the QP air dates are correct, which would imply all the Crime Club air dates must off by 1 day .. But that seems doubtful, certainly the CC info is the result of proper research. and the dates are accurate.
I think I must be ignorant about some obvious explanation. So I ask, what am I missing? How could both the QP & CC logged dates be correct?

MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Nov 08, 2014 - 8:44 PM:

"Crime Club" was broadcast over WOR in New York City (10 pm Eastern) on those dates, but on the QP dates (at 8 pm Eastern) elsewhere.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Nov 09, 2014 - 3:03 PM:

My point is not the times in these instances, it's the dates - that the dates are all day apart.
For example
Crime Club airing Sept 11, 1947 announces that QP is next.. but QP aired on Sept 10
Same goes for the rest of the above, they are all a day off.
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Nov 09, 2014 - 8:15 PM:

Right. The recordings are the Mutual network versions, which aired prior to QP. But the dates on the recordings are for Crime Club's New York City broadcasts over WOR. Like QP, CC aired in New York City on one day and elsewhere on another.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.