Scans of magazines with Quiet Please subject matter

Comments on Scans of magazines with Quiet Please subject matter

Endof80
reMember

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 45
Total Comments: 112
Posted Jul 23, 2014 - 8:49 PM:

I was going thruogh the pages of http://www.americanradiohistory.com for Quiet Please content, and while most (if not all) of the material below is already documented here at quietplease.org, I thought it worth providing links to some scans of the actual magazine pages, ie: images of the actual sources in pdf form.

Also note that some of these are weekly grid radio schedules for on given months and years.. I only link two weekly schedules from two magazines below, but the same magazines have more schedules (with Quiet Please listed) in their other issues as well, many of which are accessible at that site

Anyway, here's a few direct links from magazine issues which I though cool..

Radio Mirror May 1948 - Page 97
Everything is done to make that Quiet, Please show as realistic as possible, including making the leading man a little sick in the interest of his art.
Recently, Ernest Chappell was supposed to be talking with a "chaw" of tobacco in his jaw. Chappell held out against the tobacco, but he had to chew on something and the director picked chocolate as a substitute cheek filler. By the time the rehearsal and the show were finished Chappell had gone away and had to forego a steak dinner party to which the rest of the cast went.
www.americanradiohistory.co...1948-May-OCR-Page-0105.pdf

Here a poem about "Quiet Please" get's featured in the magazine:...

Radio Mirror October 1948 - Page 46
'Between the Bookends"
----------------------------------------
SHH...HH...
She looks beneath her bed before retiring,
Draws all the shades and closes tight the
house.
Makes certain the shotgun is cocked for
' firing
And sets a trap for some intruding mouse.
Then, turning out all lights, and snuffing
candles,
(Her breath held in as if afraid to sneeze,)
She walks to a dark room on padded sandals
And listens to the program: "Quiet
Please ..."
-Rosa Zagnoni Marinoni
---------------------------------------------
RADIO MIRROR WILL PAY $50 for the best original poem sent in each month by a reader. Five dollars will be paid for each other original poem used on the Between the Bookends pages in Radio Mirror.
www.americanradiohistory.co...1948-Oct-OCR-Page-0046.pdf

Here's a grid schedules listing of Quiet Please .. In this particular issue from February 1949, it list Quiet Please on MBS, Sundays at 5pm (there are more issues)
www.americanradiohistory.co...1949-Feb-OCR-Page-0075.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine December 15 1947 - Page 84
MBS, Fiction Magazines To Try Tie -in Promotion
A JOINT promotion and exploitation agreement involving seven MBS programs and 23 pulp fiction magazines has been arranged by the network and the popular fiction group, MBS has announced. The promotion, to begin in January and run for at least eight months, is the result of a basic appeal made by both the "whodun-its" and the fiction magazines, according to the network. Radio programs involved will call attention to magazine features which tie in with the show, and the pulps will carry a "preferred listening box," listing the seven Mutual shows, time, and a brief description of each.
Radio programs which will participate include Scarlet Queen, Quiet Please, Nick Carter, Zane Grey Show, High Adventure, Racket Smashers and Mysterious Traveler.
www.americanradiohistory.co...12-15-BC-OCR-Page-0082.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine also has numerous editions with weekly grid layout schedules in red white and black , which show Quiet Please. (I havent looked at them all yet) In this particular issue from December 1947 it shows Quiet Please on Wednesday nights at 8:30
www.americanradiohistory.co...12-08-BC-OCR-Page-0035.pdf

Radio Daily July 17 1947
- Behind the Mike by Sid Weiss:
Ernest Chappell celebrating his 25th year in radio with the broadcasting of his new
show, "Quiet,Please.
www.americanradiohistory.co...o-Daily-1947-July-0097.pdf

Radio Daily July 24 1947 -Page 8
Fordham Radio Course Has Imposing Agenda
August 4, Wyllis Cooper, will dicuss scripts and direction from the time of his famed
"Lights Out"to his current show "Quiet Please."
www.americanradiohistory.co...o-Daily-1947-July-0138.pdf

Radio Daily Tuesday, July 8 1947
"Quiet,Please,"one of the few adult-thinking shows on the air,is shopping around for a new time on Mutual —all because it's producer narrator, Ernest Chappell, is a busy gent. Seems he's on an opposition network at the same time Mutual wanted to spot Wed. nites.
www.americanradiohistory.co...o-Daily-1947-July-0042.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine Dec. 8, 1947 - Page 88
Awards Announced By Schools, Colleges
LEADING NETWORK shows won recognition today when the American Schools and Colleges Assn. announced recipients of its second annual radio awards.
This year's winners include: Audience participation, Truth or Consequences; children's, Juvenile Jury and Land of the Lost; dramatic shows, Theatre Guild of the Air and Quiet Please;... / edit/ ... religious, Eternal Light and Greatest Story Ever Told.
Kenneth J. Beebe, association president, declared the awards were based on consistent performance "in the interest of the advancement of public enlightenment and /or public service." He also supported that theory by saying radio is regaining the high standards of public service and quick public enlightenment established during the war.
More than 150 nationally known educators and civic leaders were polled in the survey for winners of the awards, which were established to encourage radio to strive for public service and public enlightenment through intelligent programing.
www.americanradiohistory.co...12-08-BC-OCR-Page-0092.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine May 10, 1948 edition - Page 30
Awards at 18th Annual IER, Ohio State U.
National Networks and Organizations
(Network Awards, BROADCASTING, May 3)
Rellgous- "The Eternal Light" (NBC), The Greatest Story Ever Told" (ABC),
"Family Theatre" (MBS) -all first awards.
Agrlcultural- "The Garden Gate" (C S) and "National Farm and Home
Ho r" NBC" -both first awards.
Cultural- General -"CBS Is There" (CBS) -first award; "State IS" (CBC) and "Quiet Please" (MBS)- honorable mention.
www.americanradiohistory.co...5-10-BC-OCR-Page-0030.pdf#

Broadcasting Magazine November 14, 1949
WYLLIS COOPER, radio and television writer, producer and director, creator recently of Quiet Please, and Volume One, Numbers 1 -6, on ABC radio and TV networks respectively, appointed executive writer, producer and director at CBS TV. He soon will launch new CBS -TV series, featuring his work and that of others. He was with CBS from 1930 to 1933, as continuity editor in Chicago, leaving to join NBC, where he originated, wrote and directed Lights Out and other series.
www.americanradiohistory.co...11-14-BC-OCR-Page-0074.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine April 25 1949 - Page 64
Wyllie Cooper, writer of Quiet Please which is broadcast Sunday afternoons on ABC, will write, direct and appear personally in a new weekly series starting in June on the ABC TV network.
Series will be called Volume One, Numbers One to Six and will be half hour programs following the Quiet Please format....
www.americanradiohistory.co...04-25-BC-OCR-Page-0064.pdf

Broadcasting Magazine February 14, 1949 - Page 52
Willis Cooper, producer and writer of Quiet Please, effective this week takes over the writing chores of the simulcast of We the People.
www.americanradiohistory.co...02-14-BC-OCR-Page-0052.pdf

Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 23, 2014 - 9:30 PM:

Couple more..

sPONSOR nOVEMEBR 1947 - pAGE 65
Quiet Please,the MBS sustaining program which is in the 8:30 9:30p.m. est time period along with the other programs checked in this paragraph doubled the audience that It's Up to Youth, Seventeen Magazine's program, garnered in that slot last year (3.8 vs 1.8)
www.americanradiohistory.co...947-11-1-OCR-Page-0067.pdf

sPONSOR July 1 1948 - pAGE 102
Available Network Package Programs
Quiet Please - Drama - Family - MBS - 30min, 1 wk - $1750 - Tested: Yes - Psychological mystery thriller
www.americanradiohistory.co...948-07-1-OCR-Page-0104.pdf

Broadcasting Yearbook 1949 - Page 365
MAJOR RADIO AWARDS and CITATIONS -1948
Awards and citations listed herewith were presented during 1948 and were not necessarily for that year.
Ohio State Awards
CULTURAL PROGRAMS
First Awards, CBS Is There, CBS: State 48, CBC.
Honorable Mention, Quiet Please, MBS.
www.americanradiohistory.co...49-BC-YB-OCR-Page-0367.pdf
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Jul 25, 2014 - 5:12 PM:

Thanks for all these links. I hadn't seen some of them. Another good site for vintage radio (and other media) articles is http://mediahistoryproject.org

Interesting blurb. This refers to NBC's "The Big Story" series, an anthology that dramatized real-life newspaper stories, for which Chappell was the announcer:

Endof80 wrote:
Radio Daily Tuesday, July 8 1947
"Quiet,Please,"one of the few adult-thinking shows on the air,is shopping around for a new time on Mutual —all because it's producer narrator, Ernest Chappell, is a busy gent. Seems he's on an opposition network at the same time Mutual wanted to spot Wed. nites.
www.americanradiohistory.co...o-Daily-1947-July-0042.pdf

Endof80
reMember

Posted Jul 30, 2014 - 3:30 AM:

Great link.. It utilizes the internet archive material but makes it much more user friendly by making it more searchable specific.
Concerning your interesting blurb... What really stood out to me was that it titled Chappell as "it's producer narrator" -- Was "Producer" really an accurate title for his position?
On another note:
I just read an interesting article reporting about how when Quiet Please moved from Mutual to ABC it put them in direct competition with 'The Shadow"! -
RADIO MIRROR
SEPT. 17, 1948 - Page 4
'Quiet' Lams MBS To Buck Web's 'Shadow'
www.americanradiohistory.co...-1948-September-3-0024.pdf

Attached Files:
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Jul 30, 2014 - 11:11 AM:

I haven't seen it, but there's apparently a 1947 contract in the QP business papers at the University of Maryland that names Chappell as producer. Chappell and Cooper were equal partners in the series. Cooper created QP, but assigned half the rights to Chappell.
Endof80
reMember

Posted Oct 19, 2014 - 9:07 AM:

MS wrote:
Thanks for all these links. I hadn't seen some of them. Another good site for vintage radio (and other media) articles is <a href="http://mediahistoryproject.org" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://mediahistoryproject.org</a> <br /> <br />Interesting blurb. This refers to NBC's "The Big Story" series, an anthology that dramatized real-life newspaper stories, for which Chappell was the announcer: <br /> <br />

Although I had read your response when you posted it, your "The Big Story" reference just hit me..
I had previously went out looking for which show Chappell was working on in June and July of 1947 which caused the QP 3 week break, but I came up with "Ted Malone".. and I had for some reason ruled out "The Big Story"..

I'm not sure how I came up with that conclusion, so upon backtracking, I think I flawed by looking at the Big Story episodes in the Goldin logs and not seeing Chappell in June or July of 1947.. Silly me, I failed to pay attention. Now I realize that Goldin collection simply does not hold copies of those months!

I had then concluded it must have been "Ted Malone", not because I had found specific episode information naming Chappell in those dates, but only because the only other show with Chappell in 1947 was Ted Malone. The only other show I found for Cooper in 47 was "Crime Club"

Talk about sloppy research on my part!
Fortunately there are real researchers such as yourself to take up my slack.
I'll correct my faulty information on my website today.

MS to the rescue again!

Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.