Ernest Chappel's relatives

Comments on Ernest Chappel's relatives

foleycat

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 17
Posted Oct 07, 2006 - 12:25 PM:

Anyone know if Mr. Chappell ever had kids ? Also, anyone know of any relatives (grandkids, nephews, etc) ?
MS

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 265
Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 12:25 PM:

His mother's obit in the December 30, 1967 Syracuse Post Standard mentions that "survivors included Ernest (of North Palm Beach, FL), Wilfred, six grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren" and I imagine not all of them were Wilfred's kids.

About three years ago, there was a post on this board from a "Jim Watson" who claimed to have known Chappell in Florida from 1969 to 1970 or '71. He wrote that Chappell was then divorced and raising two children.
Zorka

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 37
Posted Jan 02, 2007 - 10:42 PM:

An obit I have on Chappell from the Syracuse Herald-Journal says:
"In addition to his widow, Chappell is survived by three daughters, Susan, Barbara, and Marilyn; a son, James; two step-daughters, Olivia and Pamela; and 15 grandchildren and one great-grandson."
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Jan 07, 2007 - 4:07 AM:

Since he had 4 kids and his children averaged 3.75 kids, I'll suppose the family continues to average at least 3.5. That gives 53 great-grandchildren. Figuring that his great-grandchildren should be having kids by now that works out to 186 great-great-grandchildren.

Let this run another century or two and the quality of radio actors in the world will be vastly improved.
Grandpa Chappy
New

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 5
Posted Mar 29, 2007 - 9:16 PM:

Hi. I posted in the other forum under unrelated topics. I am one of Chappell's grand-daughters. I am Pam's daughter and Olivia's niece. I would love to answer any questions that I may plus look at my post I wrote because I have an old peg desk of my grandpa's that I would love to sell to someone who will appreciate it. THanks for the great admiration of my grandpa Chappy.
MS

Posted Mar 30, 2007 - 9:07 PM:

Delighted to hear from you.

I suppose the big question is: Did your grandfather happen to save any papers, photos or recordings from his long career and, if so, does the family have them or know where they are?
Grandpa Chappy
New

Posted Mar 31, 2007 - 12:19 AM:

Hi! I will have to ask my aunt as she was the one in charge of cleaning out my grandma's house last year after my grandmother died. Of course, I have family photos but from his work I'll have to do some research. I do know my grandmother donated a lot of his recordings to a museum after he died. I can remember the huge old recording machines he and my grandmother had in the house when he was alive.

I will be glad to relate any information I can recover from my aunt.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for??
MS

Posted Mar 31, 2007 - 10:04 PM:

Well, I wasn't really thinking of anything in particular. I was mainly concerned about the survival of things that might be of interest to historians and scholars. Ideally, if your grandfather saved letters, contracts, scripts, etc., it would be nice if they eventually wound up in a research archive of some kind. But if your grandmother donated recordings to a museum (the Museum of Television and Radio, maybe?), she may have included other materials as well.

Your grandfather had an interesting career going back almost to the beginning of commercial broadcasting and worked with a lot of important figures (Eleanor Roosevelt, Orson Welles) and on a number of unusual programs (Quiet, Please; This I Believe; The Campbell Playhouse) so I'm not sure where we should start asking questions.

Of course, fans of "Quiet, Please" are always looking for better sounding recordings of the series -- many of the surviving episodes are available only in poor sound. And a few episodes are missing. If you have any leads, I'm sure a lot of folks would be grateful.

But tell us about those huge old recording machines. What were they used for? A few years ago, a visitor to this forum mentioned that your grandfather was recording a "Quiet, Please"-like radio series at his Florida home in the late '60s or early '70s. I don't suppose you would know anything about that.

Zorka

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 37
Posted Apr 12, 2007 - 9:04 PM:

MS wrote:

Of course, fans of "Quiet, Please" are always looking for better sounding recordings of the series -- many of the surviving episodes are available only in poor sound. And a few episodes are missing. If you have any leads, I'm sure a lot of folks would be grateful.

I agree that your Grandfather certainly had an illustrious career. One of the areas I would like to find out are any correspondence between his close friend Wyllis Cooper and his wife Emily.

I would also be interested in knowing what "museum" Chappie's recordings were donated to. I wondered if it might be Syracuse University since his roots are in that area.

Glad you are visiting, you certainly are welcome "Grandpa Chappie"

Grandpa Chappy
New

#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 21, 2007 - 10:10 PM:

Hi MS and Zorka:

Sorry it has taken awhile to get back to you. I asked my mom to look through her stuff and unfortunately my Aunt has everything. I wanted her to make sure she went through everything before I posted again. Next option is for me to contact my Aunt and hope she has kept things instead of throwing them away. She throws things away a lot!! I so want to be able to find this information out for everyone!!

My mom did tell me that Grandpa Chappy did record a Christmas Story on the big recorders in his house in FL. This was in the late 60s and early 70s. I will do my best to have my Aunt go through my grandma's stuff! Hopefully she'll let me go through some of the stuff so I can find some treasures that may answer your questions!!
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.