Why so much "noise"?

Comments on Why so much "noise"?

Posted Jun 23, 2005 - 8:19 AM:

Perhaps this is a technical question but I am wondering why so many of these recordings seem to be in such terrible shape? Were they recorded (transcribed) originally with so much hiss and crackle or did they acquire this damage from mishandling over the years?

Were these saved on tape or disk? Just curious because some shows sound extremely good and others are like listening to an audio puzzle where you are trying to hear two people gossiping in the next room with your ear to the wall and there is a hive of bees next to you buzzing away and there are several old box fans spinning as well and other people are talking loudly as well all at the same time and you are trying to make out what the original two people are saying to each other but only occasional words or bits of phrases make their way thru.

shocked
Douglas
Posted Jun 23, 2005 - 11:52 AM:

I'm not sure about the technical aspects of the recordings but I do know that these shows were recorded on acetate discs which is basiclly a record.

A lot of them were stored away and were well cared for and protected but some got scratched and dinged so badly that it is indeed quite a challenge to figure out what's happening.
Paul

Usergroup: Webmaster

Total Topics: 38
Total Comments: 275
Posted Jun 24, 2005 - 3:31 AM:

Most of the currently available episodes come from Ernest Chappell's personal copies discovered after he died, or so the story goes. I guess he didn't take perfect care of them.

Some of the episodes come from other sources. No doubt some sources have better quality than others. Unfortunately there weren't personal tape recorders back then for people to tape things off the radio, so the sources are very limited.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.